Friday, March 14, 2008

First Full Week of Classes

Week of 10-14
Monday, well I didn’t have any classes today but I still went to the campus to register for classes and just try to figure stuff out. I ended up being able to take all the classes I wanted and I finally heard back on Wednesday from the professor in charge of approving classes for my Spanish major. Looks like I’ll get all the approval from Richmond I was expecting, I just have to make sure to keep all the syllabi to justify the credit.
On monday I also practiced with the Universidad Catolica girl’s soccer team. It was interesting; it reminded me of high school ball since the level of dedication doesn’t have to be that high. There was also a big difference in the skill level but at least I was on a field and there was some conditioning/exercise.
Tuesday I had my Montanismo (mountaineering) class and it was just a bunch of exercises to help people get in shape before we climb a mountain and have to walk for 5 hours straight or whatever. It was fun and there are a lot of people to meet, and I’ve found it’s always easier to meet people goofing off playing games/relay races so it’s nice.
Wednesday I decided that since I didn’t have classes I would go to register my visa at the Policía Internacional. Once I found the building I had to wait in line, take a number, wait, then the moment I sat down at after being called into the office the whole system shut down. Apparently the internet company lost signal…after waiting and chatting politely with the gentleman helping me we found out that there was no way it would get fixed in the day. I’ll have to go back Monday since that’s my next free day but I have until the 29th to get it done so I’ll be OK.
Wednesday night I met some other girls from the US who’ll be practicing on the soccer team with me when we can. It’s nice cause it’s not that big of a commitment but I still get to play. I also met up with my Aussie friend Jamie who has been to Chile twice before and we went to a club to see some of her friends in a Chilean rock band play. It was a lot of fun although the Chileans love to party a lot later than us Americans, even when I’m having a good time, I feel like I’m always the first to want to sleep, haha.
Thursday all the extranjeros (exchange students) and noventos (freshmen) had a day off of classes for Paseo a la Playa, a beach party about an hour away. It was a lot of fun although it was pretty cloudy and the water wasn’t really warm enough for swimming. It was a great way to hang out and meet other exchange students.
This week there’s another person staying at the house with me. She’s from Australia and waiting for a work visa from Britain and during her break between jobs she’s traveling South America. She’s already been to Bolivia and Peru and has some great stories to share. It’s also nice having someone else in the house so I’m not the only non-family member.
Some of us are organizing a St Patty’s day outing to the one Irish Pub in Santiago Sunday night. There’s a Montanismo activity Sunday morning and so we decided not to celebrate on Saturday night since we have to be able to run around. Chileans don’t know about St Patrick’s Day, but I’ll be dressed all in green come Monday!

No comments: