Monday, March 31, 2008

A couple busy days in Santiago

Wednesday was soccer practice and Miercoles Po. Miercoles Po is an event that occurs every Wednesday at different venues discotheques and bars throughout the city for Catolica students. All foreign students get in free and it is a fun was to get to know different venues throughout the city as well as meet other Catolica students.
On Thursday I went back to the Christian group for college students called El Oasis. It was really great and I’m so glad that I was introduced to it. It reminded me of old-school FUMC youth, there was dinner, a scripture reading, a skit, a testimonial/devotional, as well as live music being played by a band of el Oasis members. The really interesting aspect of it is that it is all in Spanish which is fun for me and the other 5 or so English speaking exchange students who go there. I’m thinking that on Monday I will leave practice early to make it there just a tad late.
On Friday I took my first ride on the public bus system. I know it has taken me awhile but I figured out the bus system here in Santiago since the metro didn’t go out to where the mountaineering store was located. I was so proud of myself. I also went to a barbeque with the girls soccer team here and had a really fun time hanging out and getting to know them better especially away from the soccer field.
Saturday I got a package from home with CHOCOLATE and SHOES two of the things a girl can never get enough of! It was so exciting, especially since I had resigned myself to not receiving the package until at least Monday!

No comments: