Thursday, February 28, 2008

dia 1

Unfortunately at least for the first week the family I am staying with does not have any internet. The printed ticket I had said the flight would be boarding @ 10:55 when in reality they weren’t boarding the plane until 11:55, unwanted stress as I navigated the International Airport in Toronto. Since there were less than 10 flights after 9:30 when my plane landed, there was no way to bypass customs going into Canada the way I was instructed to. Rather, I had to go through the entire customs process (meaning going out into the regular Canada airport, find an open security gate from the closed ticketing counters, go through security again, only to navigate my way back to where I was 30 minutes before.The flight to Santiago wasn’t so bad, I had an central aisle seat and watched Juno and August Rush. There was someone who had to leave the airplane because a kid under 16 showed up late and so couldn’t be left at the airport. I felt bad for him, he seemed really calm about the whole thing, plus he was kinda cute.
Then customs in Chile...apparently cacahuate isnt peanut in Chilean spanish. They were the only thing i declared but hey it worked out.
The family is Miriam, her mom, her spouse, and her 2 working age sons; I don’t know why I got them confused with Isabella and family who had the young daughter.
This weekend I plan on visiting the US embassy in Chile, to register as a US citizen, maybe go to the Policia Internacional to officially finish the process of my student visa, and possibly visit the Museo de Bellas Artes. I will also buy a cell phone.
I need to buy a watch so I can know what time it is.
Sarah will be swimming in about 30 minutes or so, she broke a record today. I want her to podium so badly. Unfortunately I can’t remember the word for record in Spanish and I’m an idiot who forgot to pack my Spanish/English dictionary.
Night:
They have “How it’s Made” in Chile! The cable channels have some in English in case I get language-home-sick but tonight I turned on Home Alone 2 en espaniol before bed. Que divertido!

No comments: